Monday, January 27, 2014

The tools of an older generation

I really love old tools. It's such a pleasure when I find an old tool on Craigslist and go to see it and not only find a gem of a tool for sale, but especially when I get to speak with the gentleman that has owned it for longer than I've been alive, or at least hear its story.

See, tools weren't always what you find today at Harbor Freight or Home Depot. Sure, Harbor Freight tools have their place - I have many of them - and Home Depot does sell some high quality, American made tools that are reasonably competent. Of course you can always buy the high end stuff too, but for the time being, that remains far beyond the reach of this man. Despite this, however, the ubiquitous Chinese made tool is far more common, and they do not share the same level of quality or craftsmanship.

But there is a third option, aside from modern-cheap and modern-high-end - Grandpa's tools. Near as I can tell, anything from that age that is still in good working order was apparently a lot higher quality. Perhaps the Chinese junk from that era has rusted back to its constituent elements, but I suspect that people cared a bit more about supporting American industry then than they do now when they buy their pot metal tools at Walmart.

Thus it was when I found my jointer/planer. The Craigslist ad informed that it was an old Montgomery Ward jointer, and that the gentleman had a bandsaw that he was also interested in selling for a little bit more. The whole family piled into the truck, and off we went, with a couple of eye rolls at Dad's bringing the family to look at tools, though Mom needed out of the house.

When we arrived, I immediately knew I had struck gold. I was greeted by an elderly gentleman, with a shop that had the faint smell of machinery oil and hardwood. It is the belief of this dad that you can tell a lot about a man by looking at his shop. This shop was very well used, but in excellent order. Everything was in its home, and it was not cluttered, although you could tell that there were decades of use and countless stories of wood lovingly crafted into objects that were given to his children, and perhaps his children's children.

In the corner was a metal table on casters, well used, with a jointer/planer mounted on it, and a bandsaw on the other side. I later looked up the model number from the jointer; it was made in 1950, and I was delighted to discover it was made of good solidly built cast iron. The deck was well waxed, the knives were lovingly maintained, and the gentleman was delighted to show me how well it worked.

The Montgomery Ward Powr-Kraft Jointer (pardon the mess... this was right after moving)


As he showed me, I explained that we educate our children at home, and at the time we were experimenting with the idea of selling wooden toy blocks as a little family business. Throughout my life I have never discovered a better way to start a conversation than to ask someone wiser than myself what they think about something like that. They love to help, and they love when folks put the effort in to produce something. This grandfather was no different, and told me several stories about the things he had crafted, and then offered me some suggestions for our minor attempt at being entrepreneurs. When it was all done, he gave me his bench grinder & grinder mount as well as the bandsaw that came with it. What a blessing!

The first set of blocks the children & I made
Having had this jointer for a few months now, I can say that it is honestly superb quality. The knives have held their edge. The children and I have built some pretty - for us, at least - pieces of furniture using this tool and others like it. Most of all, I think I enjoy the story behind it. Much like the craftsmen who built the jointer, the elderly man who sold it to me put so much love into the things he made for his children on it. I hope that I do the same and pass it to my children too.

No comments:

Post a Comment